[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 14:41:29 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:

> and I forgot the list

If your Windows users have recent hardware you can use a Linux Virtual
machine.

Where I work, Windows is the "standard", but we have "mission" critical
apps that require linux.  Using unix tools on a bunch of Windows
machines is a constant battle.   For scientific users many 3rd party
apps install versions of perl, ghostscript, cygwin, etc so you never know
what you will find on a randomly selected Windows box.

The Sage people are providing a VM for Windows users but it also
gives a simple way to get sagemath on other platforms that have
VirtualBox.

  ------------http://www.sagemath.org/mirror/win/README.txt------------------
Sage VirtualBox Distribution

This is Sage (see http://www.sagemath.org) distributed as a compressed
VirtualBox appliance.  It requires 2GB of free disk space and 1GB RAM
to install and run.

INSTALLATION:
   1. Install the free open source program VirtualBox (70MB) for your
      operating system (Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, or x86
      Solaris):  http://www.virtualbox.org/
   2. In VirtualBox, click File --> Import Appliance, and select the
      file "sage.ovf", which is in the same directory as README.txt.
   3. Click "Next", then "Import", and wait about two minutes.
   4. From within VirtualBox, start the new virtual machine "Sage
      VirtualBox Appliance", then open your web browser in Microsoft
      Windows (or OS X, etc.) to the address that is displayed.

YOUR WORKSHEETS:
   All of your worksheets are stored in the virtual machine.
   To download them all to a file
   download_worksheets.zip, click the link "Download All Active" from
   the list of Sage worksheets.  The file download_worksheets.zip
   contains all of your worksheets.  You can upload that zip file into
   another copy of Sage to open *all* of your worksheets.

DEVELOPMENT:
   You can modify the copy of Sage included in this virtual machine.
   Also, GCC is included, so you can compile code, etc.

SUPPORT:
   Join http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support or get free
   live help at http://www.sagemath.org/help-irc.html

With cheap disk you can easily afford to have multiple VM's
for different applications on a Windows PC.

It is not a big job to create new VMware VM's that run under the
free VMware player, so even if Oracle messes up VB there are
alternatives.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia