[tex-live] LuaTeX cygwin build

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Apr 8 14:45:10 CEST 2010

Hi Élie,

You wrote:
> If I test the LuaTeX 0.60 for mingw32 that I can get on
> http://foundry.supelec.fr/gf/project/luatex/frs/, everything is doing
> fine, but if I compile my own binary under cygwin, for documents using
> a lot of big fonts, I easily run out of memory.

Can you check whether this is because of lua garbage collection
that kicks in too slow (the most common cause of high memory usage
so far)? If this is the cause, then it should be fixable by adding

  collectgarbage('collect')

statements at key points in the lua code that loads those big fonts
(one before or after each font should do the trick). But if that
doesn't work, then I suspect something is seriously wrong with the
cygwin executable and you'll need a tool like valgrind to figure
out what is leaking and why.

Best wishes,
Taco