[tex-live] Please don't assume case sensitive file system

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Sep 30 23:48:37 CEST 2009

On 30 September 2009 Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

 > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:59:54PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

 >> On 30 September 2009 Akira Kakuto wrote:

 >>> In the directory trunk/Master/texmf-dist/doc/latex/bclogo/ of the
 >>> TL repository, there are files bcIcosaedre.eps, bcIcosaedre.pdf and
 >>> bcicosaedre.eps, bcicosaedre.pdf.

 >>> Therefore, I cannot check out the Master due to a fatal error.
 >>> Please tell the author not to use such names.

 >> I suppose that Microsoft will support ASCII some day within the
 >> next two or three decades.  Be patient. :)

 > ISO 9660/ECMA-119 comes from Microsoft?

I didn't claim this.

I'm not talking about ISO 9660 because TeX Live uses RockRidge/Joliet
extensions anyway.  ISO 9660 is the least common denominator, of
course.  It inherited the limitations from all the operating systems
it supports.

The problem is the Windows file system.  If there are two files,
"FOO.BAR" and "foo.bar", in the SVN repository, you can't check out on
Windows anymore.  SVN refuses to overwrite an existing file, aborts
immediately with an error message, and leaves you with an inconsistent
working copy.  And this is not funny at all.

The root of the evil is that Microsoft doesn't support ASCII (yet)
(while the rest of the world strives after UTF-8).

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25