[tex-live] Please rename the texlive binary package to texlive-medium/minimal/whatever

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Sep 29 21:49:21 CEST 2009

On 29 September 2009 Frank Küster wrote:

 > Package: texlive
 > Version: 2007.dfsg.2-4
 > Severity: wishlist
 >
 > Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
 >
 > > In my experience, the most confusing fact for users of downstream-packaged
 > > version of TeX Live is that a package named "texlive" exists, which does *not*
 > > correspond to the default install scheme of upstream TeX Live (btw this is not
 > > specific to Debian, I think).
 > >
 > > IMHO, it would help a lot if either:
 > > - the "texlive" package installs all (ie, it's texlive-full)
 > > - there is no "texlive" package, but a series of packages like
 > > "texlive-minimal", "texlive-medium", ..., "texlive-full".
 > >
 > > It would avoid a lot of bad surprises and/or misunderstanding for end users.
 >
 > We should consider this, so I opened a bug report. texlive-minimal is
 > for sure not the correct name for the current "texlive" binary
 > package. With that name, every developer would assume that it's some
 > minimal collection needed for building of autogenerated input files
 > (that's the only connection most non-TeX-addict Debian developers have
 > with TeXLive).
 >
 > texlive-medium doesn't sound very nice to me.  Other suggestions?

Yes, for normal users, names like like "minimal" or "medium" are not
meaningful (as opposed to "full"), and it would be nice to be able to
install something like "texlive-latex" easily because this is what
most people want.  But it's probably not sufficient to simply replace
the name "texlive-medium" by "texlive-latex".  Sounds like a lot of
work.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25