[tex-live] Line endings, TeX & friends, TeX Live 2008/2009

Uwe Siart usenet at siart.de
Sun Sep 27 09:51:30 CEST 2009

Peter Cibulka <Peter.Cibulka at seznam.cz> writes:

> Now todos works well, although still I think the line-endings in Win
> implementation should be \r\n.

Are line endings really (still) a question of the platform? Or is it
rather the duty of the editor/viewer to support all allowed line ending
markers?

I mean files need to be exchanged across platforms anyway so I would say
there are no "wrong" line endings, only editors/viewers which have
limited support for them.

It is an issue similar to that of encodings. You can't say that on win32
"ansinew" is "the correct" encoding while "utf-8" is "wrong". A file is
encoded somehow and your editor either supports that encoding or not.
Same with line endings, isn't it?

--
Uwe