[tex-live] [ft-devel] Re: Fw: "CMap Resources" open source project

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Thu Sep 24 15:00:05 CEST 2009

Albert,

You wrote:

>> I discussed this with the Acrobat team today, and putting the
>> Acrobat mapping files under the same open source license sees very
>> favorable.
>
> Nice :-)

This is one of the benefits of both working at Adobe Systems and
having Acrobat's ear. ;-)

>> If I can make it happen, it may take until the end of October for
>> the open source project to go live.
>
> In the poppler[1] project we also would also like to see files like
> Adobe-Japan1-UCS2 be released under a free license since we use
> them. I think they are part of those "Acrobat mapping files" you
> mention, but just to be sure.

The Adobe-{CNS1,GB1,Japan1,Korea1}-UCS2 files are the "ToUnicode"
mapping files, and are among the Acrobat mapping files that we are
discussing. They are a special case of the Acrobat mapping files in
that they specifically map CIDs to character codes, specifically
UTF-16BE, in a unidirectional manner.

Regards...

-- Ken