[tex-live] TeX install on single-layer DVD

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 04:37:31 CEST 2009

On 18/09/2009, at 4:53 AM, Klaus Hoeppner wrote:

> But what shall we do? TL is 2.5 GB, MacTeX about the same

Veering off topic here, but there's a lot of redundancy in the two
mentioned above. Except for a handful of Mac OS X binaries (frontends
and the like), MacTeX now contains the same stuff as TL. I wonder in
the future whether it might be possible to create a minimal "MacTeX
installer" that just uses the TeX Live installation to install the
texmf trees in addition to its own Mac-specific stuff.

Not sure if that'd be enough of a saving to get the TeX Collection DVD
down to a single layer, but perhaps worth considering is space starts
becoming a problem in the future.

Will