[tex-live] Installation of TL09 on Debian 5.0.3 failed to begin today

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:19:35 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>    /bin/arch              =
>
> This seems odd.  /bin/arch returns i686 for me on various systems.

There is no "arch" on my Ubuntu 9.04 system, but:

$ /usr/local/texlive/2009/tlpkg/installer/config.guess
i686-pc-linux-gnu

There is:
$ dpkg-architecture
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=i386
DEB_BUILD_ARCH_OS=linux
DEB_BUILD_ARCH_CPU=i386
DEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU=i486
DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM=linux-gnu
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=i486-linux-gnu
DEB_HOST_ARCH=i386
DEB_HOST_ARCH_OS=linux
DEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU=i386
DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=i486
DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=linux-gnu
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=i486-linux-gnu

> Did Debian decide it was no longer necessary or something?

Apparently. A number of 3rd party packages have run afoul of this,
and I have seen recommendations to just create a trivial /bin/arch
script.

> Anyway, I've sent your report to config-patches.
>
> Meanwhile, I think
>  install-tl --force-arch=i386-linux
> should work?
>
> karl