[tex-live] ovp2ovf with VPL input

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Sep 16 08:12:29 CEST 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Karl Berry wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned they are frozen now (and have been for some
> time).  I don't plan to ask for more rebuilds unless there is some
> really disastrous new bug report in the core programs.  And sorry, but I
> don't count ovp2ovf as a core program :).

Hi Lars,

moreover in cases where one could as well use VTtoVP & Co.

> Lars, I think the best approach will be to take our time and debug it
> properly.  It's no problem to compile binaries for you to use when the
> time comes, regardless of whether we update TL.
>
> Peter Breitenlohner has also been working on the source tree; I don't
> know if he's attempted to deal with the parse errors.

Hi Lars,

both the C and the Web2C version are broken in many respects, in particular
neither version properly handles tfm/vf files.

In my private copy of the tree (for future developments) I have some fixes
for the Web2C versions at least.  This, however, has to wait until after the
freeze of the TeXLive SVN tree.

> As I recall, Akira needed the C implementations of these tools, and that
> is why we are using them, instead of the older web implementations.

It's just the other way around. Akira needed the Web2C implementations for
some ofm_level=1 feature (CHARREPEAT) completely absent from the C version.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>