[tex-live] epstopdf does not propagate exit code

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Sep 14 03:23:48 CEST 2009

On 14 September 2009 Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

 > On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:30:49AM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >
 >> However, I looked into pdfcrop and found:
 >>
 >>    $GS = "gswin32c" if $^O =~ /cygwin/i;
 >>
 >> This is wrong.  Cygwin provides its own Ghostscript which is called "gs".
 >> I didn't check your other scripts.
 >
 > It isn't wrong. Cygwin is installed on Windows and the Windows port
 > of ghostscript is gswin32c. Of course cygwin has its own port.
 > Thus the code above is just a guess, which ghostscript may be available.
 > It would be better to look for the binary to find ghostscript if
 > only one variant is available. (Also MikTeX has its own mgs ...)
 >   On my system there are a dozen ghostscript versions available.
 > Therefore I have added switch --gscmd to let the user override the
 > guess of the script.
 >
 > Of course I would appreciate a better algorithm to find ghostscript
 > on the various systems. However I don't have the time to deal
 > with this problem right now, I have to postpone it to end of October
 > or November.

I don't think that an algorithm is needed.  You definitely don't want
to use the program which is linked against Microsoft's runtime lib if
you're on Cygwin.  Note that Cygwin has its own runtime lib which
replaces most of the stuff which doesn't work properly on Windows.

gs and gswin32c are *definitely* not equivalent and it's not a matter
of taste.

If you are on Cygwin, you assume that signal handlers, for instance,
work as expected.  gswin32c is not an option.  It's a crippled DOS
program depending on MSVCRT.DLL and it makes a lot of sense to avoid
it on Cygwin.

I'm sure that the line mentioned above is wrong and should simply be
removed.  This would avoid a lot of nasty problems.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25