[tex-live] New version of ifplatform

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:40:40 CEST 2009

On 9/9/2009 10:20 AM, Will Robertson wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> On 09/09/2009, at 11:22 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>
>> I tried it in cygwin-1.7 (under Windows XP):

>> $ uname -s
>> CYGWIN_NT-5.1
>>
>> $ latex -shell-escape ifplatform.dtx
>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
>> \write18 enabled.
>> [...]
>> ! Missing $ inserted.
>> <inserted text>
>>                $
>> <to be read again>
>>                   _
>> \unknownplatform ->CYGWIN_
>>                          NT-5.1
>> l.157 ...cumentation was compiled on \platformname
>>                                                  .
>> ?
>>
>> Let me know if you need further information in order to debug this.
>
> Ah, yes, sorry about that :)
> The documentation has a line "This documentation was compiled on
> \platformname" which blows up if the \platform name is "CYGWIN_NT-5.1".
>
> [As you have now noticed in a parallel reply :)]
>
> However, unless the package is faulty (which may well be the case!) I
> wouldn't expect this to happen -- I thought that "Windows" would still
> be correctly detected even with Cygwin. Would you mind sending me the
> complete console output (or log file) for the compilation?
>
> Also (or perhaps instead), what does Philip's minimal example give you?:
>
> \documentclass {minimal}
> \usepackage {ifplatform}
> \begin {document}
> \platformname
> \end {document}
>
> (Would have helped for me to include that in the package download, I
> suppose...)

Hi Will,

I still have the same problem.  I saved the minimal example as temp.tex.

$ latex -shell-escape temp.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
  \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./temp.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, german-x-2009-06-19, ngerman-x-2009-06-19, basque, catalan,
czech,
dutch, french, galician, german, ngerman, italian, polish, portuguese,
slovak,
spanish, ukenglish, loaded.
(/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/minimal.cls
Document Class: minimal 2001/05/25 Standard LaTeX minimal class
) (./ifplatform.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/pdftexcmds.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/infwarerr.sty)
(/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/ifluatex.sty))
(/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/catchfile.sty)
(./temp.w18)) (./temp.aux)
! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                 $
l.4 \platformname

?

I'm attaching the log from this run, as well as the log from my previous
attempt to compile ifplatform.dtx.

I didn't follow any of the earlier discussion of the ifplatform package,
but I'm curious why you would want it to return "Windows" as the
platform type when a user is running latex under cygwin.  Cygwin tries
to emulate linux as much as possible, and the cygwin binaries for
texlive were compiled in this spirit.  So I, as a cygwin user, would
expect ifplatform to report a *NIX platform, and I would expect
\platformname to return "Cygwin".

Ken