[tex-live] New version of ifplatform

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:15:13 CEST 2009

On 9/9/2009 9:52 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 9/9/2009 8:56 AM, Will Robertson wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Following bug reports from TeX Live 2009 on Windows and then MiKTeX
>> 2.8 for my package "ifplatform", many of you gave me good advice about
>> improving its heuristics. I've now got a new version ready that I
>> believe works but if it didn't then I wouldn't know:
>>   <http://github.com/wspr/ifplatform/tree/master>
>>
>> Since I only have a Mac, it's kind of hard for me to test Linux and
>> Windows support :)  (When I first wrote the package I had access to
>> more machines.)
>>
>> Anyone willing to download the version linked above and try it out
>> would earn my debt of gratitude. (Just compile the .dtx as usual to
>> generate the .sty file.)
>
> I tried it in cygwin-1.7 (under Windows XP):

> $ uname -s
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1
>
> $ latex -shell-escape ifplatform.dtx
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
>  \write18 enabled.
> [...]
> ! Missing $ inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                 $
> <to be read again>
>                    _
> \unknownplatform ->CYGWIN_
>                           NT-5.1
> l.157 ...cumentation was compiled on \platformname
>                                                   .
> ?
>
> Let me know if you need further information in order to debug this.

Actually, the problem is obvious.  The underscore in "CYGWIN_NT-5.1"
made latex try to go into math mode.  By the way, I didn't look at the
code closely, but I hope it doesn't try to detect cygwin by looking for
"CYGWIN_NT-5.1" in the output of 'uname -s'.  I think the "NT-5.1" part
of this reflects the underlying version of Windows.  So you should
probably just test for an initial "CYGWIN".

Ken