[tex-live] 2009 pretesting

Charles P. Schaum verbo.solo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 6 06:06:07 CEST 2009

Thanks for your hard work on the 2009 release.

I threw everything I had at 2009 to date. I am using OpenSUSE 11.1
because it doesn't have a package system that breaks if one bypasses
dependencies of prebuilt packages and changes INFOPATH. Unfortunately,
the Debian family is more prone to breakage. FreeBSD is also easier in
terms of workarounds, but OpenSUSE has the best hardware support for me.

I compiled TeXWorks from source and it generally gives the best results
with smaller projects. It lacks features needed for more complex ones.
That is somewhat OT here, though.

The results I have to date are:

1. memoir class with the extrafontsizes option fails to find/create
fonts in DVI mode; works fine in PDF mode.

2. The otfinst script at
http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~jowens/code/otfinst/ will need to be updated
to work properly in this version.

3. AUCTeX needs to be updated. That's not really your problem.

I have had good results with plain TeX, LaTeX, XeTeX, and respective PDF
variants. Graphics converted nicely. A few projects with some weird
tricks I did all worked. So far, I am quite pleased.

Thank you.

Charles