[tex-live] TL '09 on Ubuntu

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Oct 26 01:28:13 CET 2009

Hi Joel,

On So, 25 Okt 2009, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> I’ve got an Ubuntu system with TeX Live 2008 installed (via web
> installer), and I’m going to want to upgrade when TL ’09 is released.
> (I’m pretesting TL ’09 on my Windows box and I’m quite impressed.)

Good to hear, thanks a lot.

> Should I install TeX Live from the web installer when the release
> happens, or would it be better to wait until a Debian/Ubuntu repository
> becomes available?  (I’ll be uninstalling TL ’08 first.)

I general we recommend installing the system as shipped by your
distributor, Ubuntu in this case. But since I know that it will
not happen tooo fast that there will be TL2009 packages in Ubuntu
(becasue I am the maintainer of TL packages in Debian, and I know
that we will upload soon to experimental, but for sid it will take time)
I suggest install from the net now, and you can still switch to
Ubuntu packages later.

> What will the trade-offs be?  Will one be a better fit for the system
> than the other?  Will there likely be a long wait for the repository to
> be made available?

Long wait is hard to say. There are pre-test packages for Debian
available, but far from perfectly working. Tradeoffs: You will not get
tlmgr, because -- as in all distributions shipping TL -- it will not
be installed. It interferes with the normal package manager (APT in our
case) and thus cannot be installed. (This will change as soon as I have
implemented tlmgr user mode that manages $HOME/texmf).

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining                                        Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology   preining at jaist.ac.jp
Vienna University of Technology                               preining at logic.at
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force)                    preining at debian.org