[tex-live] Broken dependencies among sty files in TeX Live 2009 distribution

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Mon Oct 19 17:47:36 CEST 2009

Hi Norbert,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 05:12:57PM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Jindrich,
>
> thanks for your work, that is very useful, but keep in mind we do not
> aim at a full and correct dependency management with our "depends". We
> try to keep it working as far as possible.
>
> Still, that under scheme-full some things fail are bad but probably
> not always fixable.
>
> DIscussing only required things for now.
>
> > missing sty file	required by		type
> > exerquiz.sty		eCards.sty		required
>
> part of acrotex which is as discussed depending on acroread.
>
> > xetex-inputenc.sty	luainputenc.sty 	required
>
> if run under xetex, right, but not if run under luatex.
> It seems that xetex-inputenc does not exists, at least not on CTAN.
>
> > docindex.sty		docindex.sty		required
>
> ??? docindex requires docindex?

This should read that docindex.sty requires xhj.sty. Cut & paste error,
sorry.

> > web.sty			eCards.sty		required
>
> not on CTAN, maybe again part of acrotex.
>
> > here.sty		verbasef.sty		required
>
> that is a pain, since verbasef.sty is in ltxmisc, that should be fixed.
> but again, here.sty is not on CTAN .... pity
> since it is sooo old maybe it should be moved to obsolete on CTAN
> as it can anyway not be run
>
> > biblatex.sty		gcite.sty		required
>
> That is a differnet problem, unfortunately Lehman does not want us
> to ship biblatex by now (although he agreed to put it into Debian,
> where there are definitely less often updates ..). This will be
> hopefully fixed rather soon.
>
> > chngpage.sty		eskdspecii.sty,eskdx.styrequired and optional
>
> Probably overriden by changepage.sty
> was in TL2008, is now on CTAN in obsolete ...
>
> > newcommand.sty		xoptarg.sty		required
>
> hmm, there is only xnewcommand.sty, also on CTAN, the xoptarg should
> probably be fixed.
>
> > MinionPro		classicthesis.sty	required
>
> commercial font, so no support files in TL.
>
> > mathtime.sty		mtgreek.sty, klups.sty	required
>
> same.
>
> > tree-dvips.sty		ps-trees.sty		required
>
> in package tree-dvips
>
> > asyprocess.sty		asyfig.sty		required
>
> see other email
>
> > lucasual.sty		rmpage.sty		required
>
> probably also becuas eof commercial font based
>
> > lmodern.sty		manual.sty,dtk.sty	required and optional
>
> in package lm
>
> > fancytooltips.sty	eforms.sty		required
>
> in package fancytooltips
>
> > pictex.sty		pictex2.sty		required
>
> in package pictex

Forgot to add that I used only "free" packages for the Fedora
installation. Packages with inappropriate licenses were removed from
the repository which explains why these dependencies are listed here.

The list of inappropriate "non-free" licenses are here:

noinfo
unknown
artistic
nosource
gfsl
nosell

(names are the same as they are listed in texlive.tlpdb)

This makes me think about "free" packages dependencies. Do you think
it is a bad idea to make an effort to limit TeX Live style
dependencies to only to "free" packages to avoid legal problems with
redistribution?

> > inicap.sty		amsrbeta.sty		required
>
> inicap is not on ctan, no idea ...
>
> > Please note that styles with type "required" will fail every time even
> > with the scheme-full installed. It would be nice to have all these
> > cases addressed.
>
> Strange, esp with those packages that are actually there.
>
> It is impossible to fix all of them, and useless.
> Best is for the real problems above to contact the authors.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert

Thanks,
Jindrich