[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

C.M. Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Wed Oct 14 00:57:57 CEST 2009

"RK" == Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
"JW" == Joseph Wright

    RK> I think it should be possible to install TeX Live easily
    RK> everywhere.

Me, too.

    RK> Do you mean that it should be difficult to install TL as a
    RK> non-privileged user?  This would be bad.  I'm maintaining
    RK> a TL system on a Linux server where I'm not root.  People
    RK> can mount it on their Windows machines or use it on the
    RK> server.

I was responding to a comment from Siep, who was responding to
Joseph Wright, who said

    JW> (On the other hand, *why* the TL team wanting installation
    JW> are not to run as Administrator? The usual rule is install
    JW> as Admin, use as a non-privileged user. I don't quite get
    JW> this.)

In general, I think that making it easy for end-users to violate
system policies is not a good thing, especially if you're hoping
to get people to install your software as part of an official
software load.

    RK> The best way to prevent users from installing TL in $HOME
    RK> is to provide TL yourself and maintain it properly.  Why
    RK> should a user want to install it himself, then?

I agree, and we install TeX systems on all our machines.  However,
in my experience, providing software doesn't mean that you won't
have users try to install their own versions, and I'm not really
excited about making it easier for them to do so.

   Claire

  Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
  Systems Administrator                          (909) 621-8754
  Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College