[tex-live] Outstanding issues

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Oct 12 19:24:05 CEST 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Maybe there was a misunderstanding. I thought you were reporting that the value
> at the top of the window (near the "change" and "load" buttons) didn't change.

No, sorry, I should have been more clear : it is the
value in the "Configuration" tab to the right of the
text "Default package repository" and to the left
of the [Change] button in the section labelled
"Default settings".

> Here with tlmgr gui on linux, it works. I'll test on windows later. Can you
> please describe the precise way to reproduce the problem (it may depend on how
> you select/write/click things, if it is again a Tk bug).

Certainly.  With the "Configuration" tab active, click "Change"
against "Default package repository".  Replace the current
value using any of the possible methods ("Choose directory",
"Default net package repository", <type>, <paste>) and
click [OK].  Note that the text described above (i.e.,
the value in the "Configuration" tab to the right of the
text "Default package repository" and to the left
of the [Change] button in the section labelled
"Default settings") does not change.  Compare and constrast
this behaviour with that of any of the lower fields for
which a value is displayed (i.e., all but "Default backup
directory" and "Auto backup setting", which are for some reason
blank).  Note that all except "Default package repository"
change the text when the associated [Change] or [Toggle]
button is used.

> Point 1 is a bug, if I (finally) understood your description correctly.
>
> Point 0 (the fact that changing the default repo doesn't immediately change the
> current repo, ie what I understood in your previous mail) is a design decision.
> I can see pros and cons about this one, I'm not sure the converse would be very
> intuitive either.
>
> Point 2 is a design decision, and I'm quite surprised you find it
> counter-intuitive. Could you please elaborate?

Points 0 and 2 refer to Tomek's description of the intended
behaviour, where I think that Tomek also thought that I was
referring to the field labelled "Current package respository"
whereas I was in fact referring to the field labelled
"Default package repository".  Thus I think that there was
confusion and that points (0) and (2) should be ignored, at
least until point (1) is resolved.

** Phil.