[tex-live] German characters stopped PDF generating

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 11 13:08:40 CEST 2009

Steven Woody <narkewoody at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure this is a pdftex problem or a doxygen proble, so I post
> on both list and hope you can understand.
>
> I was using Doxygen + DOT to generate PDF document for my C codes.
> Some of my C code have comments in German, so when I run 'pdflatex' on
> the Doxygen generated tex source file 'refman.tex', I received the
> following error:
>
> <use d0/d5e/UPF__Appl_8h_8747a96c8ad4cf8687580c3158d11d9a_icgraph.pdf> [3840 <.
> /d0/d5e/UPF__Appl_8h_72b8343e0ba329905a174c6644d1e272_cgraph.pdf> <./d0/d5e/UPF
> __Appl_8h_8747a96c8ad4cf8687580c3158d11d9a_cgraph.pdf>]
>
> ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:ón:C not set up for use with LaTeX.
>
> See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.504 ...--------------------------- Descipción: C
>                                                   hequea la validez de una t...
>
> ?

at first sight, it looks like a proble in inputenc (perhaps mis-globbing
a unicode character), but it's quite impossible to tell for sure without
some code one might actually exercise.

please make a minimal example (presumably by editing text out of your
generated document) and post it to comp.text.tex or texhax

someone who knows what's going on will no doubt be able to help.  it's
almost certainly nothing to do with the tex live team -- they merely
copy what submitters provide (the submitter, i suspect, being the latex
team in this case).

note, the tex-live list is good for things like "i can't get tex live to
install" -- it has quite enough traffic of that sort, that any package
problems will tend to be swamped.

robin