[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Fri Oct 9 17:38:56 CEST 2009

After reading that so looong thread, I think that we rather have to
discourage using rsync on Windows.
I use wget for years and never had such strange problems with permissions
sets, .manifest files on XP, etc., etc. No need to run cacls afterwards
(it seems crazy for simple windows user).
We provide stable wget.exe and I use the following 00tlget.bat file
every day:

wget -b -m -nH -np --cut-dirs=2 --retr-symlinks -X "/texlive/tlnet/2008"
   -R "mactex*,update-tlmgr-r*,index.html*" ftp://host-address/texlive/tlnet

(of course should be one line). Notes:
1. -b runs wget in the background and writes wget.log
2. --cut-dirs=NUMBER ignore NUMBER remote directory components
     (not so important, but prevents downloading too deep structure, eg.
      in given example 2 means that wget will strip texlive/tlnet)
3. ftp or http address should be adapted to the repository in use

That's all. All needed files are well mirrored and then the user can
run
install-tl[-advanced].bat
from its directory (no need to give -repository parameter).

All the best,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl