[tex-live] Text too small in documentation

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Fri Oct 9 14:04:20 CEST 2009

Ralph Martin wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:43:10PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>>
>>>    This is a rather minor issue, but the text in
>>>
>>> file:///usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/doc/texlive/texlive-en/texlive-en.html
>>>
>>>    is in places utterly unreadably small on a MacBook Pro, particularly
>>>    in Figures 1, 4, 5, and so on.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the report.  I've never liked those figures.  They're pretty
>>> unreadable for me too.  But there's not much that can be done about it.
>>> Just have to enlarge them, or ignore them.
>
> OK. As I said, this is a minor issue.
>
> However suggestions about using command-+, or setting a minimum font
> size in the browser are not very efficient - they require n users to fix
> the problem, rather than one developer.
>
> Something in the tex source this file is generated from is calling for
> an 8 point font, looking at the generated html. Can that just be omitted
> from the relevant tex source, so we at least get 10 point?
>
> Best wishes

that is nasty in any cases, as at least some versions of IE cannot scale
text if set using px.

Please use font size specifications that are browser scalable even using IE.

To do this one often need a trick:

body {
font-size:100%;
}

and then specify font sizes in em's or en % or use the CSS font-size
keywords.

if font-size is set to a value with a unit, then some versions of IE
refuse to scale the fonts afterwards.

--

/daleif