[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Oct 9 10:32:18 CEST 2009

Joseph Wright wrote:

 > 1) When downloading the installer and letting it do the installation,
 > all is fine. That is the most common method for Windows users, I suspect.

If this uses similar methodology to last year's network
installer, then it is substantially slower that installing
from a local mirror.

 > 2) Although there are lots of Windows users, most of them are likely to
 > use MiKTeX if they want a TeX system.

But would they not do better to migrate to TeX Live ?
I did, at Sebastian's suggestion, many many years ago,
and I have never regretted it.  And do the TeX Live
team not want to encourage Windows users to migrate to
TeX Live ?  At the moment, there are considerable obstacles
to that migration, all of which were resolved before last
year's TeX Live release; now we seem to be taking a step
backwards, and moving towards the release of a product while
substantial problems remain with a local (and therefore fast)
install.

** Phil.