[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Oct 6 21:21:22 CEST 2009

Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> As a work-around, I change directory to H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror
> and replace the final element of the previous "Rsync" incantation
> with "."

OK, that stage is now complete.  The next stage is installing, for
which the web page says :

> Installing
>
> After downloading as above, you can run the script install-tl (Unix) or install-tl.bat (Windows) to perform the installation:
>
>     * install-tl location -gui text for text (command line) mode; default on Unix.
>     * install-tl location -gui wizard for severely simplified GUI installation asking only the minimal questions; default on Windows.
>     * install-tl location -gui perltk for advanced/expert GUI installation with the usual array of options; requires Perl/Tk.
>
> In each case, the location option must be given for the pretest: install-tl -location http://somehost/some/path ...
> The exact somehost/some/path urls to use are the link targets on the texlive-pretest mirmon page.

Now there are a couple of problems here.

1) Unless the location to which I mirrored the installation
kit is already in my path, "Install-tl[.bat]" won't be found.

2) the <location> option, if I have elected to Rsync the
entire installation kit, is presumably /not/ a link target
on the TeX Live pre-test mir-mon page, but rather the location
on my local system to which I have performed the mirroring.

So, assuming that the above assumptions were correct, I did
the following :

1) Set default to the location to which I had mirrored the
installation kit :

	H:
	CD H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror

2) Typed "Install-TL -location . -gui perltk"

Unfortunately it then reported "Access denied" :

> PATH=H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror\tlpkg\tlperl\bin;E:\Layered products\ActiveState\PE
> RL\site\bin;E:\Layered products\ActiveState\PERL\bin;K:\WINXPPRO\system32;K:\WIN
> XPPRO;K:\WINXPPRO\System32\Wbem;E:\Layered products\Sonic\MyDVD;K:\PROGRA~1\COMM
> ON~1\SONICS~1\;E:\Layered products\Synametrics Technologies\DeltaCopy
> Access is denied.
> Press any key to continue . . .

These same symptoms can consistently be replicated by
iteratively stripping trailing elements from the
incantation, leaving (at end) just "Install-TL"
(or "Install-TL.bat"), and also with ".\Install-TL[.bat]".

Any new suggestions, please ?
** Phil.