[tex-live] Please don't assume case sensitive file system

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Oct 1 10:05:33 CEST 2009

Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/10/2009, at 7:18 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
>> The problem is the Windows file system.  If there are two files,
>> "FOO.BAR" and "foo.bar", in the SVN repository, you can't check out on
>> Windows anymore.
>

> Mac OS X's file system behaves (by default) the same way.
> Partially because that's the way it's always worked; at the user
> level, it's considered a feature.
> I qlways used to like it, until I read this argument against:
>   <URL:http://drewthaler.blogspot.com/2007/12/case-against-insensitivity.html>

He misses one problem, though: in Turkish, I and i is not the same
letter when disregarding case.  The respective equivalent pairs are "İi"
and "Iı".

So for proper insensitivity handling, the computer should detect whether
the user is using Turkish or English words in a file name (even in a
Turkish locale, people should be allowed to use filenames in any
language they like and vice versa).

Sending this per Bcc to him, hope it makes it through his filters.

--
David Kastrup