[tex-live] texi2dvi missing

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Nov 25 19:18:36 CET 2009

Robin Fairbairns a écrit :
> George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>>
>>> There is NO license problem with respect to including texinfo into
>>> TeX Live at all. We (TeX Live hat on) accept GFDL. OTOH, for Debian
>>> (Debian hat on) GFDL is not free enough.
>> I stand corrected, but this leaves the OP's question "why?" unanswered.
>
> indeed, i think it creates more questions.  do we now expect tl to start
> dropping things that debian doesn't like, to make life easier for
> debian?

Hum, I don't understand your reaction. Norbert just stated that TeX Live
is independent from Debian wrt licences. More precisely, when the DFSG
and the FSF rules disagree, TeX Live follows FSF. (The only disagreement
I know of is about GFDL with invariant sections.)

As Norbert will confirm, Debian people have, and always had, an
exclusion list for things in TeX Live that they don't want to import in
their TL packages (for various reasons, including but not limited to
licensing). So they don't mind at all if TeX Live includes things that
they don't want in their packages.

The texinfo removal is (I repeat) UNrelated to any licence question. It
is purely based on pragmatic reasons, mainly that TL's install-info
conflicted with the various distro's own install-info program. This was
a source of problem for people installing TL from the DVD (or the net,
or any other "upstream" source) and still wanting to get info pages (not
necessarily TeX-related) from their Linux/BSD/whatever distro.

> i work hard on cataloguing people's licences, but only because it seems
> to be useful.  if it's to be used to clamp down, maybe i should leave it
> the debian people to do all this work?  i certainly wouldn't like to
> make other people's petulant attitude to licences easier to maintain.

Please don't stop your hard work (at least not for this reason). It is
very much appreciated, and very helpful for TeX Live (and probably MikTeX).

Manuel.