[tex-live] [BUG] TeXLive 2009 on Kubuntu 8.04 segfaults

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Sat Nov 21 18:08:49 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 and want to install TeXLive 2009. The following
recipe leads to a segmentation fault during package installation:

Downloaded install-tl-unx.tar.gz, extracted the tarball, and cd'ed to
install-tl-20091120.
$ sudo ./install-tl -gui perltk
Starting with "schema-full", I deselect quite a few "package groups":
   Games typesetting, Humanities packages, LaTeX3 packages,
   Music typesetting, Omega, PSTricks packages, GNU Texinfo,
   The TeXworks Editor, (Windows support programs)
I reduce the set of language packages to:
   French, German, and UK English
and the set of documentation packages to:
   English and German
In total this leaves 28/84 package groups for installation (1364MB)

I set TEXDIR to "/opt/texlive2009" (and the others accordingliy). (/opt has
18GB of free diskspace before installation.)

Then I click "TeX Live Installation". After awhile, the process stops
prematurely:
Installing [0504/1549, time/total: 21:38/01:03:01]: exceltex [15k]
Downloading
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/exceltex.tar.xz did not
succeed.
Installation failed.
Rerunning the installer will try to restart the installation.
Or you can restart by running the installer with:
  install-tl --profile installation.profile [EXTRA-ARGS]
Writing log file to current working directory.
Segmentation fault

Running the installer again and continuing with the same settings, a bit
further:
Installing [0999/1551, time/total: 26:20/34:22]: pagerange [49k]
Downloading
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/pagerange.tar.xz did not
succeed.
Installation failed.
Rerunning the installer will try to restart the installation.
Or you can restart by running the installer with:
  install-tl --profile installation.profile [EXTRA-ARGS]
Writing log file to current working directory.

Running the installer a third time hits on the first error again:
Installing [0504/1549, time/total: 02:36/07:34]: exceltex [15k]
Partial download of
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/exceltex.tar.xz found,
removing it.
Downloading
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/exceltex.tar.xz did not
succeed.
Installation failed.
Rerunning the installer will try to restart the installation.
Or you can restart by running the installer with:
  install-tl --profile installation.profile [EXTRA-ARGS]
Writing log file to current working directory.

Wrapping up,
Andreas Scherer