[tex-live] Interference with Embarcadero C++Builder?

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 7 13:27:17 CET 2009

2009/11/7 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:
> Not up to your normal standards, Norbert :
> can you back up this assertion with any hard
> evidence ?
>
> ** Phil.
> --------
> Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> If a user on Windows knows about PATH and knows how to find it he
>> will also know that / and \ is equivalent.

Norbert is right in that [back]slashes are handled directly at the
Windows API level and therefore this distinction is transparent to
applications interfacing with OS through proper APIs. From:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

"File I/O functions in the Windows API convert "/" to "\" as part of
converting the name to an NT-style name ..."

Of course applications doing their own parsing of PATH might be affected.

I've already prepared a patch for it and we will fix it soon after the release.

Cheers,

Tomek