[tex-live] Conflits in gsfonts packge and tex-live distro

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 22 14:49:47 CEST 2009

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Do, 21 Mai 2009, Pander wrote:
>> Bold
> [...]
>> Small Caps & Old Style Figures
>
>> And many, many fonts, also repeat the font name or the size in points
>> inside the style :( Even illegal characters in OTF file meta data on
>> which the xml parser employed by ttx is choking.
>
> Yes, but that is what the fonts *are*, no Debian Developer nor Ubuntu
> will start renaming fonts, changing attributes.
>
>> To return to the "correct meta data" approval for fonts, it boils down
>> to what the community is able (or would like to) to pull of. As I said,
>> I'm new in the font world, hence my newly acquired amazement ;) Probably
>> I'm not the only one having noticed this.
>
> Well, ask *ALL* font creators to use a decent system, a well, first
> *CREATE* a decent naming system.
>
> Karl Berry did it once in the naming scheme, but that has never been
> taken over, and is not the best solution for otf fonts.
>
> Well, if you *can*, come up with a decent font naming proposal that
> convinces all font creators and publishers.
>
> Good luck.

As I said, I'm new in font world. My proposition is not mission
impossible as you  describe above. More a system that step by step will
give out its stamp of approval for those who conform to (start with)
some basic metadata and prevention of common errors. A world spanning
naming scheme for fonts is I think a bit out of my league. Nevertheless ...

> In the meantime please do not steal time with these discussions, none of
> us can change anything there.
>
> If you want, join the fontconfig development team and write a better
> parser.

... I will take up your invitation and contribute my findings to
fontconfig development team.

Regards,

Pander