[tex-live] distribution-pachage versus self-installed

Andreas Hirsch nishni_nowgorod at gaponline.de
Thu May 21 18:06:11 CEST 2009

Hi!

I'm aware that this has been discussed before but I hope to get some
further hints/help.

As I remember, the preferred way is to use the distributors package.
This should satisfy most useres needs.

For my personal experience I had the problem that updating newer
pstricks-packages is not as easy as normal packages because there a
several place there files have to be placed. Unfortunately, in my
special case, I need some recent pstricks-develpment (euklid) for my
school-lessons.

At the moment, I'm using a 2008 self-installation on Ubuntu (on my
'server') which I use under Windows Vista. This works perfect.

I would like to use TeX on Linux using emacs/auctex - and now the
problems arise :-(

Because of the dependencies I could not install auctex.

What would you recommend:

scenario 1:

De-install TeXLive 2008, install 2007 using the package-manager of
Debian/Ubuntu and try to update PS-Tricks by hand

scenario 2:

Use equivs to simulate an installed TeX-enviroment and then install autex

I'm very glaful for any help.

Andreas

--
Andreas Hirsch