[tex-live] Xetex examples

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed May 13 00:37:04 CEST 2009

George N. White III a écrit :
>> I think my fontconfig setup is probably OK, because xelatex does find
>> "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono" and "Latin Modern Roman".
>
> The whole point of xetex is to use "system" fonts,

Not really. The whole point of XeTeX is to be able to do multilingual
typesetting using the most "recent" technologies: OpenType and Unicode. Using
system fonts without putting them in the TeX trees in a bit more sugar on the
top of it, but the core features about fonts is to support the standard formats
natively.

I think Ken's question makes perfect sense, but as Alex explained, example are
really font-dependant so it would not be easy to port them. However, it is
certainly possible to demonstrate a (non-trivial) subset of XeTeX/fontspec
capacities using only free fonts available in TL, and I wish someone will have
time to prepare examples.

(As for myself, I happen to use XeTeX mainly with non-free "professional" fonts,
so I can't build such examples out of my personnal XeTeX documents, unfortunately.)

Manuel.