[tex-live] Xetex examples

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue May 12 23:16:17 CEST 2009

2009/5/12 Ken Brown <kbrow1i at gmail.com>:
> On 5/12/2009 4:52 PM, George N. White III wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Ken Brown <kbrow1i at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does TL2008 come with any examples of xetex or xelatex files that can be
>>> typeset using only the fonts supplied by texlive?  I'm curious to try out
>>> xetex, which I've never used before, but almost every example I try gives
>>> me
>>> errors about fonts that are not installed.
>>>
> [...]
>>
>> The whole point of xetex is to use "system" fonts, but you should be able
>> to do "xelatex sample2e" and get Computer Modern fonts.
>
> I guess I didn't phrase my question clearly.  I'd like to try out xetex to
> see what it can do (and to see examples of how to do it).  Running xelatex
> sample2e doesn't help.
>
> Texlive ships a lot of opentype and truetype fonts.  I was hoping to see
> examples that don't rely on "system fonts" that don't happen to be installed
> on my system.

If you want to know what can be done with fonts in XeLaTeX and how to
do it, the read the documentation of the fontspec package. There are
also a few articles in TUGboat written by Jonathan Kew. You can also
view Jonathans lecture held in 2007 for CSTUG. Look at www.cstug.cz,
the page is written in Czech but the link "Slidy z přednášky Jonathana
Kewa: "XeTeX: TeX plus Unicode plus OpenType minus complexity" (formát
PDF)" points to the slides and "Videozáznam přednášky, XeTeX.avi (352
MB)" points to the video.

Hope this helps.

--
Zdeněk Wagner