[tex-live] Xetex examples

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:58:19 CEST 2009

Does TL2008 come with any examples of xetex or xelatex files that can be
typeset using only the fonts supplied by texlive?  I'm curious to try
out xetex, which I've never used before, but almost every example I try
gives me errors about fonts that are not installed.

For example, if I run xelatex on
texmf-dist/doc/xelatex/polyglossia/example-arabic.tex, I get an error
about Junicode.  If I edit the file and replace "Junicode" by "Latin
Modern Roman", the compilation gets a little further but then complains
about Inconsolata.  I can replace "Inconsolata" by "Bitstream Vera Sans
Mono" and get a complaint about Lucida Sans Unicode.  And so on.

I think my fontconfig setup is probably OK, because xelatex does find
"Bitstream Vera Sans Mono" and "Latin Modern Roman".

Ken