[tex-live] Error with fmtutil

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat May 9 21:23:53 CEST 2009

On Sa, 09 Mai 2009, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
>         This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
>         `luatex -ini  -jobname=lualatex -progname=lualatex lualatex.ini'
>         failed
>         `luatex -ini  -jobname=pdflualatex -progname=pdflualatex
>         pdflualatex.ini' failed
>         `luatex -ini  -jobname=luatex -progname=luatex luatex.ini'
>         failed
>         `luatex -ini  -jobname=pdfluatex -progname=pdfluatex
>         pdfluatex.ini' failed
>

>         and in the log file I found this:
>

>         fmtutil: /usr/local/share/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt installed.
>         fmtutil: running `luatex -ini   -jobname=lualatex
>         -progname=lualatex lualatex.ini' ...
>         This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.4-2008081313 (Web2C 7.5.7)
>         (INITEX)
>         (/usr/local/share/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/lualatex.ini
>         ! I can't find file `luatexiniconfig.tex'.
>         l.4 \input luatexiniconfig.tex
>
>         Please type another input file name:
>         ! Emergency stop.
>         l.4 \input luatexiniconfig.tex
>
> Since I installed texlive 2008 on top of a debian derived texlive2007,
> the debian package uses the texlive2008 directories. What you see above

???? I don't grok this explanation, can you repeat what you did, if you
prefer in German, too.

> are errors from the tex-common updates in debian. I can live with this

That is not surprising. Debian ships luatex 0.40 with the new ini files
already. If you mix those two you cannot expect that it works?

Please describe exactely *what* you have installed and *where* and which
commands you are running.

Best wishes

Norbert