[tex-live] svn-multi problem after today's TL update

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 23:42:40 CET 2009

Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     After today's TL update, svn-multi is no longer installed in the
>     texmf-dist/tex/latex directory.
>
> I failed to notice that the new svn-multi.dtx writes svn-multi.pl, but
> the .pl was also present in the CTAN directory.  That takes special
> handling.  I hope I repaired it for tonight's update.
>
> Robin, seems like it would be cleaner not to have the .pl there, or in
> general, anything generated by the .dtx?  Other packages in a similar
> situation (at one point, anyway, can't guarantee about current versions)
> are bullcntr, ctable, polski, and psfragx.

most definitely.  but there are __so__ many authors who know __hugely__
more about distribution than you or any of us, that we've given up doing
any more than saying that these things are confusing and we would prefer
it otherwise.

arguments with authors can (as you know) get nasty, and frankly none of
us are getting any younger and even i am beginning to lose my
proselytising streak.

sigh.

does rcs-multi (same author, not in tl) suffer the same way? ... hmm,
seems not.  i hadn't noticed svn-multi-pl.dtx, even.  i'll try mailing
scharrer...