[tex-live] TeX Live 2008, i386-freebsd, FreeBSD 6.4 and i386-linux

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 24 00:12:56 CET 2009

    Why xz for TL2009?

lzma is obsolete.  xz is designed by the same people, and they
themselves say that lzma should be replaced by xz asap.  Therefore we
will move to xz for TL'09.  This decision is made and will not be
changed (by me, anyway).

The "beta" tag on xz-utils is essentially meaningless.  Don't worry
about it.

We will include xz binaries in TL for every system TL supports, just as
we did for lzma.  As always, I want the binaries TL provides to be
maximally portable but ultimately I obviously have to take what the
volunteers are able to provide.

Karl