[tex-live] TeX Live 2008, i386-freebsd, FreeBSD 6.4 and i386-linux

Conny Andersson unitex at telia.com
Mon Mar 23 01:25:33 CET 2009

Hi,

I never thought about it up to now, but already in sysinstall I usually
choose the '/usr/ports/misc/compat{5x,6x}' as 'packages'. When doing the
first postinstall adjustments. By calling sysinstall, and then Configure ->
Packages -> CD/DVD -> misc:

[X] compat4x-i386-5.3_9		(points to /usr/ports/misc/compat4x)
[X] compat5x-i386-5.4.0.8_9	(points to /usr/ports/misc/compat5x)

All the wanted compat-libraries will be unpacked from the CD/DVD and
installed in /usr/local/lib/compat. They were already installed on my
FreeBSD 6.4 system (but not needed), when installing TL 2008.

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Yue Wang wrote:

> Kernel configuration is just one thing.
> One should also install the obsolete libraries (from
> /usr/ports/misc/compat{5x,6x}).
> Binary/Source compatibility is the biggest headache for users and developers.
>
> But the biggest problem is all the TL binaries are compiled by
> volunteers. We should find developers who have those old system
> installed.
>
> Yue Wang

Well, I actually have both FreeBSD 6.4 and 5.5 (with teTeX) installed. But,
I am about to buy me a new workstation - so I can't answer if I have a
working 5.5 later this year. Maybe some drivers in 5.5 is to old for the
new hardware - I don't know yet, as noticed:

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, George N. White III wrote:

> Just a remark based on experiences with other large applications --
> old systems often won't run on current hardware because the drivers
> haven't been backported.

But, I did read something that seems like a problem to me, right now.

On Tue, Mar 10 17:55:25 CET 2009, in response to Angelo Graziosi, Norbert
Preining wrote:

> xz is the successor of lzma, from the same author
>	http://tukaani.org/xz/
> TL2009 will use xz instead of lzma.

There is no port for xz on neither of my two FreeBSD-systems. I am happy
that I have lzma on both, and I had never seen any .tar.lzma before TL2008.
I think there will never be a port for xz to FreeBSD 5.x. And it's still a
beta version (today xz-4.999.8beta.tar.gz). Why xz for TL2009?

Best wishes,

Conny