[tex-live] TeX Live on usb drive

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Mar 21 02:12:23 CET 2009

On 19 March 2009 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

 > Could we please avoid personnal attacks? It certainly helps no user
 > in the world. Robin is (as all of us) spending much time to make
 > things work as he thinks is the best. One can sometimes disagree on
 > a particular point, but still respect his involvement and goodwill.

I agree.  But don't be worried too much.  Even if you see harsh words
in the mails, everything is fine as long as people respect each other.

 > Anyway, directing everyone wanting to install TL to the Cambridge
 > node is certainly not a good idea; that's obviously the whole point
 > of mirroring. And you cannot expect every mirror admin to run on
 > on-the-fly zipping.

I must admit that I don't understand the problem at all.  Are you
talking about the ISO image?  It's a snapshot from last year and
quite out-of-date.  The preferred way to install TeX Live is to use
the network installer:

    * You get the latest stuff.

    * You don't have to download/install anything you don't need.

    * The files you download are compressed by the most efficient
      compression algorithm (lzma) available today.

What exactly is missing?  What should be compressed dynamically?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25