[tex-live] TeX Live on usb drive

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Mar 19 17:51:19 CET 2009

Philip TAYLOR a écrit :
> I think perhaps Jerónimo didn't use "-np" ("no parent").

Probably.

> I seem to recall that one of my correspondents suggested that
> the DVD was not the best way to install TeX Live, if one had
> network access (because the DVD contains "run from DVD" stuff,
> which is unnecessary if one is planning to install to hard
> disc).

Well, there is almost no specific "run from DVD" things (just a few script,
probably less than 1kb).

The main difference between the DVD (or ISO image) and netinstall (or dl tlnet
and do a local netinstall) is that tlnet holds compressed archives, so it takes
much less space (and can install faster due to less disk i/o), and that tlnet is
up-to-date, while from the DVD you'll probably want to update from the net after
installation.

Manuel.