[tex-live] TeX Live on usb drive

cetex at didaskalikos.org cetex at didaskalikos.org
Sun Mar 15 10:57:41 CET 2009

Hi,

my name is Jerónimo Leal. I'm member of GUiT (Italian TeX group) and
coordinator of GrUT (Gruppo romano di utilizzatori di TeX/LaTeX). I
recently gave the 6th Course of Critical edition with TeX/LaTeX and I
have a little problem. There are students that came to the course with a
netbook (that is, without DVD reader), and this is always more frequent.
I was wondering if it is possible to translate the contens of the DVD on
a usb driver to facilitate the installation on the hard disk. I tried to
copy them, but this doesn't work. I searched in the net, but I only get
a system that run on the usb-drive. I ask you: is it possible for the
TUG team to prepare an installation system for usb-drive? I think that
this is the future and, I hope, simple. (And I can't imagine how to do
this). The others distributions don't do this yet. Perhaps TeX Live
would be the first system with this possibility.

Thanks,

Jerónimo Leal