[tex-live] (no subject)

Fengnan fnsteed at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:39:24 CET 2009

From: "Norbert Preining" <preining at logic.at>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:17 PM
To: <tex-live at tug.org>
Subject: Re: [tex-live] (no subject)

> On Mi, 11 Mär 2009, Yue Wang wrote:
> Thanks, I know, but they are still Kanjis, no? I wasn't talking about
> the language, but the script.

No, they are not kanjis, Kanji (help·info) (漢字 ?) are the Chinese
characters that are used in the modern Japanese logographic writing system
along with hiragana (ひらがな, 平仮名), katakana (カタカナ, 片仮名), Arabic
numerals, and the occasional use of the Latin alphabet. The Japanese term
kanji (漢字) literally means "Han characters".

See more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji

Basically, kanji are a group of Chinese hanzis which are modified by
Japanese for usage in his own language.

So kanjis are not hanzis, which means they are not Chinese. (Even though
most Chinese can read most kanjis and understand them.)

Fengnan Gao