[tex-live] Problems with local /texmf on ntfs

Felix Kupprat kupprat at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:37:23 CEST 2009

George N. White III wrote:
> 2009/6/17 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/6/17 Felix Kupprat <kupprat at googlemail.com>:
>>> Dear everyone! I have the following problem customizing my texlive
>>> installation:
>>> I want to include a personal texmf directory that lies on a ntfs partition
>>> that is not the partition of the texlive installation. The installation-path
>>> is /usr/local/texlive/
>>> I have added the path to the custom directory to
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf.cnf:
>>>
>>> TEXMFDATEN = /media/Data/Dateien/miktexpersonal//
>> You should not have the two slashes at the end here, they will be
>> added later in the definition of TEXINPUT.* variables.
>
> I did some experiments with a texmf-local tree located on an NTFS partition,
> (mounted on Ubuntu 8.10), and added as TEXMFMPM = /media/Vista/texmf-local
>
> $ kpsewhich -var-value TEXMF
> {/home/gwhite/.texlive2008/texmf-config,/home/gwhite/.texlive2008/texmf-var,/home/gwhite/texmf,!!/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-config,!!/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var,!!/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf,!!/usr/local/texlive/texmf-cont,!!/media/Vista/texmf-local//,!!/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-local,!!/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist}
>
> I did not encounter the problem with or without trailing '//' and
> leading '!!'.   Here is with both:
>
> $ mkdir -p /media/Vista/texmf-local/tex/latex/dai/bbx/
> $ touch /media/Vista/texmf-local/tex/latex/dai/bbx/dai.bbx
> $ mktexlsr /media/Vista/texmf-local
> mktexlsr: Updating /media/Vista/texmf-local/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Done.
> $ mkdir -p ~/texmf/tex/latex/dai/bbx/
> $ touch ~/texmf/tex/latex/dai/bbx/dai.bbx
> $ kpsewhich  dai.bbx
> /home/gwhite/texmf/tex/latex/dai/bbx/dai.bbx
> $ rm ~/texmf/tex/latex/dai/bbx/dai.bbx
> $ kpsewhich  dai.bbx
> /media/Vista/texmf-local/tex/latex/dai/bbx/dai.bbx
>
> I get the same answer after deleteing the trialing './/', leading
> '!!', and ls-R file.
>
>>> TEXMF =
>>> {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFDATEN,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}
>>>
>>> This solution does not work completely. The file
>>> ./miktexpersonal/bibtex/bst/biblatex/biblatex.bst is found running tex using
>>> the biblatex package.
>>> However, the files ./miktexpersonal/tex/latex/biblatex/bbx/authoryear.bbx
>>> and the custom style ./miktexpersonal/tex/latex/dai/bbx/dai.bbx can not be
>>> found.
>>>
>>> Copying the whole folder like it is to my home directory and modifying the
>>> entry in the texmf.cnf everything works fine. I have tried various
>>> debug-commands that I found in the kpahsea-documentation, but they didn't
>>> actually help me (for a post of the output and discussion (in german) see
>>> http://www.golatex.de/viewtopic,p,10756.html#10756).
>>>
>>> As everything works fine with the same directory-structure in my
>>> home-directory, I suppose that there is some incompatibility with the ntfs
> [...]

There is no ls-R except the one I created in Linux. The file is found in

./tex/latex/dai/bbx:
dai.bbx
(entry in /media/data/dateien/miktexpersonal/ls-R)

However, I don't get any output for kpsewhich dai.bbx.

Another file (also included in ls-R)

./tex/latex/biblatex:
[...]
biblatex.sty
[...]

is found by tex running it on a file referring to the biblatex package:

(/media/data/dateien/miktexpersonal/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.sty
Package: biblatex 2009/01/10 v0.8c programmable bibliographies

However, kpsewhich biblatex.sty doesn't give any output.