[tex-live] texlive under ubuntu cannot find proper .bb file for png image file

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 09:50:11 CEST 2009

2009/7/31 Jin Huang <hj at cad.zju.edu.cn>:
> Dear all,
>
> I just switched from WinXP+MikTeX to ubuntu+TexLive. I have a latex document
> which can be correctly compiled into dvi previously.  However, it doesn't
> work now.

Please, remember that neither TeX nor LaTeX itself can include any
graphics. TeX was not programmed to do it. you can only use a macro
package that gets somehow some information about your image and puts
\special with appropriate parameters so that some device driver can
understand it and include in the output. Pdftex was extended so that
it can directly include PDF, JPG and PNG. It can read the dimensions
directly from the file, it is not necessary to use other tools to get
the bounding box. If you wish to use something else than pdftex, you
have to select dvi driver that is capable of inserting PNG and a macro
package that can write an appropriate \special. I do not know about
such a driver (maybe dvipdfm but I do not know it well). Or you have
to convert the image to a format known by the driver that you wish to
use.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/