[tex-live] tlmgr update and machine-readable

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 07:08:44 CEST 2009

Hi Norbert,

Thanks for the quick reply!

On Jul 27, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Mo, 27 Jul 2009, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> Would it be enough to have the line
> 	end-of-updates
> on a line itself?

I had to actually take a hack at implementing my progress bar before
answering for sure.  Having done that, it looks like this would work
quite well.

>> Will messages like "tlmgr: package log..." and "running mktexlsr"
>> ever be
>> interspersed with the machine readable output?  If not, an "end-of-
>> output"
>
> No. the tlmgr:package log stuff should actually be on STDERR, did you
> check that?

No, I had a brain fart and forgot about that; I haven't looked at the
code for 6 months or so :).  You're absolutely right, and that's
sufficient to weed out most of the non-parseable messages.  So if
adding an "end-of-updates" message is doable, that would be great.

thanks!
Adam