[tex-live] missing data files

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jul 28 03:08:39 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 04:19:41PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Herbert,
>
>     /graphics/pstricks/contrib/pst-geo/data/
>     /graphics/pstricks/contrib/pst-geo/dataII/
>
>     are missing. Should be installed under
>
>     /tex/latex/pst-geo/data
>     /tex/latex/pst-geo/dataII
>
>     and, if possible, not as a tarzip
>
> I was just copying what is on CTAN.
> It was because they were .tgz that I put (left) them in doc.  I assume
> having a .tgz in the runtime is useless.
>
> Anyway, in this particular case, there's a bigger problem.  The
> uncompressed dataII is some 124 megabytes.  I'm sure there is not enough
> space for that on the DVD.  (The uncompressed 16MB of data.tgz is bad
> enough.)
>
> So I'm not sure what to do.

If the .dat files are meant for PostScript interpreters only, then
they can be compressed using PostScript filters. I have written
some scripts:
  http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~oberdiek/tmp/pst-geo-compress.zip

Using LZW the needed space would be 41 MB,
using Flate method the needed space is 32 MB.
The latter one has the disadvantage, that the PostScript interpreter
has to support Language Level 3.

The needed space can be further decreased by about 4-5 %, if
unnecessary white space is removed from the .dat files previously.

Herbert, what do you think?

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>