[tex-live] Instructions on installing PostScript fonts?

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 06:12:38 CEST 2009

I started with a Kubuntu 9.04 system, but instead of the default
ubuntu texlive, I use install-tl to get the 2008 version installed. I
chose a minimal setup, with tex and latex.

But am unable to run latex with any PostScript fonts. I assume this is
because the fonts are not installed - and I have seen many documents
mentioning many such fonts, mention URW, etc, but have not yet found
any instructions on how to get a font on system - many docs seem to
suggest that texlive comes with the fonts, so it should just work, but
it does not!

I also tried tlmgr list, but don't see anything that would install
PostScript fonts (do see Type1Fonts in there).
following packages are installed, as show by tlmgr output:
i pslatex: Use PostScript fonts by default.
i psnfss: Font support for common PostScript fonts.

But when I usepackage{newcent}, I get
kpathsea: Running mktexmf pncr7t
! I can't find file `pncr7t'.
and lots of other errors cascading.