[tex-live] Improved Garamond available - please include in CTAN

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 21 00:22:14 CEST 2009

On 20 July 2009 Wolfgang Keller wrote:

 > Gael Varoquaux has improved the URW-Garamond by adding old-style
 > figures, true small caps and better kerning:
 >
 > http://gael-varoquaux.info/computers/garamond/index.html

Hi Wolfgang,
I'm glad to hear this.  But there are some things to consider.  Since
the fonts are modified and not the original fonts released by URW,
their names have to be changed.  In particular, the Adobe Type1 spec
requires that there should never exist two different fonts with the
same /FontName.  And, of course, the /UniqueID has to be unique.

I will look into the fonts later, maybe next weekend.  Please note
that it's not urgent, the license doesn't allow them to be part of TeX
Live anyway.  TeX Live users can install URW Garamond (the original)
easily using the program 'getnonfreefonts'.  Try

   getnonfreefonts --list

I'm looking forward to add an enhanced Garamond to the list of
supported fonts.  I can do this at any time, even after TL-2009 is
released, thus it's not urgent.  But there shouldn't be any clashes
with with the original URW fonts.  This means: different /FontName,
different filenames (also for LaTeX packages),...  Regarding the
/UniqueID, it's sufficient to remove it, Adobe doesn't assign new ones
any more.

I'm very interested in the enhanced fonts but I can only support them
(in getnonfreefonts) if they don't clash with the original URW fonts.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25