[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jul 12 17:34:11 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:11:45AM +0200, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> Karl Berry wrote:
>
> >My understanding of the results are that:
> >
> >1) user has both foo.eps and foo.pdf (created in whatever way): Their
> >   foo.pdf gets used.  Nothing is generated.
> >
> >2) user has only foo.eps: foo.SUFFIX.pdf gets generated, and used.
> >   foo.SUFFIX.pdf is not regenerated unless foo.eps changes.
> >
> >3) if the user does some manual tweaks on foo.SUFFIX.pdf and copies it
> >   to foo.pdf, then once again foo.pdf will be used (and not overwritten).
>
> What is the final decision? The current TL2009 converts
> *unconditionally* the .eps files into -epstopdf.pdf files, even if .pdf
> files already exist and are older than .eps. Is this to be expected?

I haven't finished v2.0 yet, I am working on it.
Changes so far:

* New defaults:
\epstopdfsetup{%
  append,%
  update,%
  prefersuffix,%
  suffix=-\SourceExt-converted-to%
}

* The implementation is moved to package `epstopdf-base.sty'.
  This package does not have package options.
    Package `epstopdf.sty' is a wrapper package that accepts
  package options.

  Thus graphics.sty should then load epstopdf-base.sty instead
  of epstopdf.sty. This avoids option clash errors:
    \usepackage{graphicx}
    \usepackage[...]{epstopdf}

* An additional configuration file `epstopdf-sys.cfg' is loaded
  if it exists. Perhaps it helps distributors providing
  another conversion rules or option settings. Then the user
  can set his own options without loosing the conversion rules.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>