[tex-live] TeXLive 2009 and asmptote

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Jul 11 08:19:52 CEST 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Vafa Khalighi a écrit :
>> another things is that with pdfluatex in TeXLive 2008, there was no pause
>> compiling  a document but in TL09, compiling a document with luatex (I mean
>> Plain TeX and not latex), once I see
>> "restricted \write18 enabled.", then there is pause between 2 and 3 seconds
>> and then it starts to compile the document.
>>
> There is always a pause when luatex compiles the hyphenation patterns. For some
> reason, it does it at runtime, not at format generation time.

The hyphenation patterns in luatex are currently saved as strings in the
format file because the internal representation is several thousands of
separate small objects per language and dumping those objects would be
rather messy. We may change the behaviour at some point before version
1.0 is out, but not for texlive 2009.

Besides this technical issue, dumping 50+ languages in the format file
is not recommended for another reason as well: luatex is perfectly
capable of handling patterns at runtime, per language. So it is possible
to load just the language(s) you need for one particular document, and
the speed penalty will be only about one tenth of a second per language.

Best wishes,
Taco