[tex-live] New version of the type1 cm fonts fails with dvipdfm

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jul 6 19:46:24 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:17:22AM +0900, Akira Kakuto wrote:

> > Hm, not on miktex I think. Should I suggest it to the miktex
> > maintainer? And if yes what exactly means "in compatible mode"?
>
> If dvipdfmx is called by the name dvipdfm, it tries to emulate
> dvipdfm as far as possible.

No, it fails. Package `bmpsize' is one of the packages, where
the driver options must be correct, because it triggers
a difference between dvipdfm and dvipdfmx, if images
are reused:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}
\usepackage{bmpsize}
\begin{document}
\fbox{\includegraphics{s1.png}}
\fbox{\includegraphics{s1.png}}
\end{document}

The specials for dvipdfm:
  pdf:image @IMG1 width 24.08957pt height 24.08957pt depth 0pt (s1.png)
  pdf:bt xscale 23.99951 yscale 23.99951
  pdf:uxobj @IMG1
  pdf:et

The specials with option dvipdfmx:
  pdf:image @IMG1 width 24.08957pt height 24.08957pt depth 0pt (s1.png)
  pdf:bt xscale 1.38886125 yscale 1.38886125
  pdf:uxobj @IMG1
  pdf:et

The example shows that dvipdfmx doesn't behave as dvipdfm
even in "emulation mode".

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>