[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Angelo Graziosi angelo.graziosi at alice.it
Sun Jul 5 17:04:21 CEST 2009

Uwe Siart wrote:

> I understand that this behaviour simplifies a lot for the majority of
> users. But I also think that a latex run should never ever overwrite
> files that it did not generate on the fly. And a PDF graphics file that
> already exists falls into that category in many cases.

In any case, it seems that it happens only with PDF files which are
older than EPS ones. I have a document which uses more than 250 files
(foo.eps, foo.pdf), but only for three it happens the conversion on the
fly: those PDFs which are a few cent of second older than the EPSs! If I
'touch' them, none has the conversion on the fly!

Cheers,
Angelo.