[tex-live] testing tlmgr in tlcritical

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 25 01:35:22 CET 2009

Norbert and I have pushed out a fairly major new update to tlmgr in the
tlcritical repo.  Anyone who likes to live on the bleeding edge, please
try it.

Most of the changes are only internal, such as largely rewriting the
paper-size setting code.  User-visible changes include:

- a new action symlinks which adds or remove symlinks in the binary,
  man, and info directories like the install does.  This is not called
  automatically, since we felt tampering with system directories on our
  own was a bad idea.

- updmap.cfg is generated only in TEXMFSYSCONFIG, not TEXMFSYSVAR
  (by both tlmgr and install-tl), so that manual calls of updmap and/or
  use of tlmgr generate updmap should work better together.

- a new option --machine-readable which produces more easily machine
  readable output for updates.  Adam Maxwell's new TeX Live Utility for
  MacOSX is using this.

- a different w32 update implementation (thanks to Tomek) which, as I
  understand it, should no longer require the manual invocation of the
  post-update script.

tlmgr --help should give the full description (fixes to the missing
perldoc madness also included), or see
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlmgr.html as always.